Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Headhunter Etiquette

Hello,

There is one scenario that I’ve been wondering about which wasn’t covered in the article. (Etiquette for Job Hunters) A work colleague was asked if she knew anyone who was interested in an open position (by a headhunter). She thought of me and emailed me the headhunters name & contact information.

Is it inappropriate to call and ask for more information so that I may edit my resume? Or should I just send my resume and cover letter? I think this would be particularly useful. Since my gut tells me it’s 50/50. There are pro’s and cons to both sides.

Kindest Regards,

C

______________

Dear C,

I would agree with the 50% of your guts telling you to call the headhunter.

You will have the opportunity to introduce yourself, ask questions, and fine-tune your resume and cover letter, if you use one. You can simply say “Alice told me that you were looking for a person to fill a _____ position and I wanted to let you know of my interest in that field.”

Your resume will be much more targeted and relevant if you are able to ask questions about the opportunity beforehand, and it allows the headhunter to give you more information and ensure you’re a good fit for the potential position.

As an FYI, it’s not a bad idea to cultivate a networking relationship with headhunters, even when you’re not looking for a job. If you’re in a position to know a lot of people in your industry, you will always know of someone who needs a position filled or someone who needs a job, and headhunters are always glad to have sources of information. Help them out when you can, and don't be bashful about asking for help when you (or a colleague) needs assistance they might be able to provide.

Best wishes, let me know how it turns out!

-Paula Williams
www.ravenwerks.com
Committed to Your Success

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great informational post.

I definitely agree that calling a headhunter to request more information about a particular job will do more good than bad. It will allow you to really focus your resume/cover letter and it show initiative on your end.

Timothy

Paula Williams said...

Thanks Timothy!

I think almost any excuse to start an intelligent conversation (with a headhunter, a prospective employer, someone who works for a prospective employer or has any influence at all over the process) can only help a job search.

That doesn't preclude homework - I also recommend that you google people and companies and do lots of reading before talking with people because you want to appear informed and prepared and not be asking simple questions that you could find out from the first page of a web site. :-)

Timothy- you are a headhunter? Welcome to the forum, and I'm sure many of our readers on both sides of the job hunt will be reading your comments with interest.

Thanks!

-Paula