Friday, June 6, 2008

Getting More Done by Not Going To Work

I have the best boss in the world.

She doesn't let the trappings of authority get in the way of reason and practicality.

As a product manager, I attend a lot of meetings during the week. I also accrue a lot of action items from the meetings, and I'm responsible for doing long-term planning and strategy that is hard to do in a cubicle with a lot of distractions.

About a month ago, I started working at home on Thursdays. This happened to be the day that was lightest on meetings, and the one regular meeting I have on Thursdays is a call-in with people in another city, anyway. So for the last month my productivity has gone through the roof. And I'm more relaxed and have more time for people at work.

Now everything I come across that requires concentration and doesn't require collaboration with others goes on my "Thursday List." This includes at least an hour of brainstorming and future planning that would NEVER get done if I were in the office. I get a lot of items checked off my list on Thursdays, since I have almost eight hours uninterrupted (I do answer the phone and check email several times during the day so that I'm available for those weird little emergencies that always happen.) And I'm less stressed about getting work done during the week, so I'm free to linger and chat after meetings and I'm more welcoming to visitors to my cube who drop by with an idea or a concern.

As we all know, those conversations are often the most enlightening and valuable part of the day.

The expensive gas I save, the fact that I'm not adding to the summer smog, the extra hour that I'm not spending in my car, and being able to work in jeans and sneakers is a beside the point as far as my boss is concerned, but it means a lot to me!

For some tips on how to make telecommuting work for you, see Virtual Teamwork - Long Distance Collaboration on the Ravenwerks site.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How I wish I was as lucky as you (chuckle).....